Inline assignments

jillson at gmail.com jillson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 10:29:28 EST 2006

Coming from a background that exposed me to far too many languages, I
find the latter two examples (i.e. use try/except) to be horrible
solutions.  It's not a matter of light/heavy weight, it's a matter of
using exceptions for normal loop flow control is a really bad idea.
1)  I think it's less clear why the loop works
2)  The possibility (in more complicated examples) that this could mask
a real exception (if for example, your function

I recommend reading Effective Java (Bloch), specifically the beginning
of the exceptions chapter, for more details why using exceptions to
exit loops is a bad thing (and while the title is effective java, much
of it is directly applicable to a lot of python code)