access mbx files?

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Mon Mar 27 10:49:15 EST 2006

Quoth "David Isaac" <aisaac0 at verizon.net>:
| Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com
|> I suppose it isn't supported by the mailbox module basically because
|> it isn't all that commonly encountered.  It may be more common on mail
|> servers, but there it's email net protocol data, POP or IMAP.  If
|> Mahogany has been using this format for `local' folders (i.e., via
|> filesystem), I think that may have been kind of poor judgement on the
|> part of its developers.
|
| I cannot judge that, although I think I recall the choice was made
| for reasons of speed.  What do you see as the downsides?
| Just that it is uncommon (and thus questions like my original
| questions arise)?

That's one problem, it's inaccessible to a wide variety of email
software you might want to run.  Maybe worse, it's fragile.  It
has, for no particular reason, a header full of NUL bytes, which
some editors will through away.  Any change to contents without
the corresponding change to the header destroys the folder past
that point.  Etc.  And for all that, it doesn't buy you much.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com