What's the best way to learn perl for a python programmer?

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Mar 28 10:17:26 EST 2006

Magnus Lycka  <lycka at carmen.se> wrote:
>The thing that really bit me when I tried to go back to Perl after
>years with Python was dereferencing. Completely obvious things in
>Python, such as extracting an element from a list inside a dict in
>another list felt like black magic.

Not that long ago I had to make some enhancements to someone else's
Perl script which was handling that kind of data structure. I
stared and stared at a particularly long and messy dereference, and
eventually figured out what it was doing. I then wrote what the
equivalent Python would have been. Even forgiving the Perl's initial
"my", thanks to the line noise characters the Python was over 10%
shorter, as well as more readable. So much for the myth of verbosity.

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"