Python execution problem

Jeffrey Schwab jeff at schwabcenter.com
Fri Mar 17 23:23:10 EST 2006

mailpitches at email.com wrote:
> Using OSX 10.4.5
>
> This is more of a unix/tcsh question than a python question.
> Somehow I got to the point where I have two files 'a.py' and 'b.py'
> which have identical contents and permissions, but one refuses to
> execute:
>
> [blah:/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables] me% a.py
> tcsh: a.py: Command not found.
> [blah:/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables] me% b.py
> okay
> [blah:/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables] me%
>
> Could someone enlighten me about how the shell knows to execute a
> script? I always assumed it was just the extension, but this seems to
> prove me wrong.

It checks each directory in your path for an executable file with the
name you specified.  Each file has a set of associated bits to tell
whether it is executable (or readable or writable), and by whom.  To add
  execute permission to a.py, try this:

	chmod +x a.py

FYI, it's not a great idea to rely on the current directory (.) being in
your path.  You might want to type it explicitly, e.g ./a.py instead of
a.py.