how to overload sqrt in a module?

Michael McNeil Forbes mforbes at lnsDOTmit.edu
Fri Mar 3 00:44:09 EST 2006

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Robert Kern wrote:

> Use the appropriate library which already implements the features you want.
>
> In [8]: class A(object):
>   ...:     def __init__(self, x):
>   ...:         self.x = x
>   ...:     def sqrt(self):
>   ...:         return 2*self.x
>   ...:
>   ...:
>
> In [9]: a = A(10)
>
> In [10]: import numpy
>
> In [11]: numpy.sqrt(a)
> Out[11]: 20
>
> In [12]: numpy.sqrt(10)
> Out[12]: 3.1622776601683795
>
> In [13]: numpy.sqrt(10j)
> Out[13]: (2.2360679774997898+2.2360679774997898j)
>
> --
> Robert Kern

Thanks.  This solution is essentially to make sure that all "numeric"
objects have .sqrt etc. members, and then use a library which check
against builtin types and custom types with these extensions.

That works, as long as the appropriate library exists (or I write it
myself) (and this works in my case: I did not realize that the numpy/scipy
functions worked this way.)

Are there any other more generic solutions (without having to write
"custom" functions like numpy.sqrt)?

Michael