Any advantage in LISPs having simpler grammars than Python?

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Tue Mar 7 18:59:30 EST 2006

Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> writes:

> I think experienced Lisp programmers must learn to visually parse
> the *words* in the Lisp program to determine the structure, but I
> find that really unhelpful, myself.

Experienced Lisp programmers use indentation to visually parse the
program structure, just like Python programmers do for Python.
Experienced Lisp programmers learn to not see the parentheses when
they don't need to.

When I did a lot of Lisp programming, I often felt that it would be
kind of nice to have a version of Lisp that would infer many of the
parentheses from indentation, so that you could elide most of them.
But then again, the parentheses are very easy for an experienced Lisp
programmer to ignore, so such a change would have been a very hard
sell.