Multiplying sequences with floats

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Fri Mar 24 16:06:30 EST 2006

Andrew Koenig wrote:
> Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
>
>> Anyway this would be an argument only against the variant of typecasting a
>> float with a fractional part. But what about the other variant which
>> raises an error if there is a fractional part, but works if the float is
>> actually an exact integer, like the result of 4.0//2.
>
> I think that's a really bad idea, because of the possibility that the result
> might happen to be an exact integer on one implementation but not another.
> In such situations, the fact that it might fail on implementation X may well
> be impossible to detect by any amount of testing on implementation Y.  Such
> untestable errors are such a nuisance that it would better for the language
> to encourage programmers to give them a wide berth.

1./20*40 == 2 or math.sqrt(4.0) == 2 may not always be True (on my
platform it is True), but on every platform 4.0//2 == 2 should be True.
More general, the result of a//b should always be an exact integer, and
a//b == int(a/b) for all positive numbers a,b, no matter on which
platform. If not, I would consider a//b broken on that platform.

And if a//b == int(a/b) is True, I think it is also reasonable to expect
that  a//b * list  is the same as  int(a/b) * list

-- Christoph