Python Evangelism

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Thu Mar 9 19:22:32 EST 2006

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:21:59 +0100
Magnus Lycka <lycka at carmen.se> wrote:
> It's not too late to rename the cheese shop though.
> (We don't need even more stink...)

I love cheese, so no problem on that score. But the
problem is, if you actually know where "Python" comes
from, you are likely to suspect that said site contains
no cheese.

I think even GvR mentioned this at PyCon. ;-)

OTOH, I guess ironic naming can be cool, too.

I'm still a little put off by "Dogpile" though. And
isn't there a language called "brainfuck" or something?

So "python" is hardly the worst.

Reminds me of Slartibartfast's original name in the
Hitchhiker's radio scripts -- the point being that he
has this really embarrassing name and doesn't want to
talk about it.  The original joke was funnier (but
unbroadcastable).  Even now I'm wondering if some
filter is going to kill this message.

Anyway, "python" could theoretically apply the
"bad=good" marketing, although something venomous
would probably be more effective.

Cheers,
Terry