embed notepad into a frame widget

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Mar 28 08:25:06 EST 2006

Matt wrote:

> all,
>
> trying to load an application (notepad for instance) and have it sit
> inside a Python application window. When the main window maximises or
> minimises, the (notepad) app follows.
>
> I am pretty sure I need to use a frame widget under tkinter (win32) but
> not exactly sure how to do it.

You are pretty wrong being sure :) Under windows, it is indeed possible to
embed certain applications into others - the related technical term is
conveniently called OLE (Object lining and embedding).

But the application has to be prepared for doing so - and this is deep
windows stuff, so I guess you can't do that with Tkinter.

Another technique is to use so-called activex-controls. The IEfor instance
is available as such a control. But that also isn't doable with Tkinter
(AFAIK, I'm not totally sure on that). But wxPython can:

http://www.wxpython.org/MigrationGuide.html

Diez