Which GUI toolkit is THE best?

Alan Franzoni alan.franzoni.xyz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 08:25:32 EST 2006

Paul Boddie on comp.lang.python said:

> Now, since the commercial licence is "per developer", some cunning
> outfit could claim that only one developer wrote their product (rather
> than one hundred developers, say), but this would be a fairly big
> breach of trust (although nothing unusual in the world of commerce, I'm
> sure). Would a business making software for other such businesses care
> about such things? What kind of recourse would they have?

Just one thing I don't understand: if you're developing all your software
inside your company, how would they know if you already coded it or you
still have to?

Also, couldn't a big company buy a *single* commercial license from the
beginning, build a software employing hundreds of developers using the GPL
license, and then distribute the software pretending that the single
developer had done everything? This would hit Trolltech anyway.

I think the problem has to do with the QT license system. It's their
problem, not a developer's one. Also, I suppose one of their commercial
licenses provides with far lot more than a license - e.g. I think they'll
offer support, design tools, additional docs and libraries.

And what would then be their income if they refused to sell you a
commercial license because they *know* you've already coded your app using
the GPL license of Qt? You could simply throw away your app and never
distribute it, and they would'nt see a cent anyway.

Personally, I don't like Qt licensing, since I think there're good widget
sets around that don't have such limitations, but I don't think that people
at Trolltech are really trolls :-=

--
Alan Franzoni <alan.franzoni.xyz at gmail.com>
-