raw strings and \

Mon Mar 6 07:14:57 EST 2006

Almost off-topic.

Well, okay, completely off-topic.

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:47:07 -0800, plahey wrote:

> I would say that a foolish anything is something to avoid.  I don't
> think that anyone would claim that inconsistency is a virtue in a
> computer language (or in anything else for that matter).

Inconsistency can be a virtue whenever predictability is a vice.

Imagine, for example, that Fred and Bill are negotiating over something
(say, Fred wants to buy Bill's house). If Fred is predictable, then Bill
can work out just how high Fred is willing to pay, and refuse to accept a
penny less. In other words, if you are too consistent, people will learn
to take advantage of that consistency to get the most from you for the
least in return.

On the other hand, if Fred is unpredictable -- that is, inconsistent -- it
is much harder to predict his behaviour, and Bill will be more cautious
and more likely to settle for a lower offer.

Think about hostile negotiations. If people know exactly how far they
can push you before you will get mad, they will push right to the edge.
But if they don't know where that edge lies, if they are uncertain how you
will react ("if I demand the Sudetenland, will he break off negotiations
and launch a preemptive attack?"), they will be more cautious, less
demanding, more open to compromise.

Cognitive scientists believe that the benefits of unpredictability and
inconsistency are behind the evolution of such irrational emotions as
jealousy and rage. In that sense, their very irrationality is what makes
them rational.

--
Steven.