Accessing 'mangled' class attrbutes

Gerard Flanagan grflanagan at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 1 13:00:27 EST 2006

danmcleran at yahoo.com wrote:
> >>Is there any simple way round this situation in general?
>
> It might be safer to use composition instead of inheritance in this
> case. Assuming that XMLWriter has a write method to write what you
> want, you could hold a reference to an XMLWriter within your class and
> pass along write command like:
>
> writer = XMLWriter()
> writer.write(stuff)

No, XMLWriter doesn't have a 'write' method, if it did I could have
done:

    super(HtmlWriter, self).write(stuff)

I think the XMLWriter class has been designed so you can't just write
any old text because this better ensures that tags are properly closed
and so on.  There is a public 'data' method:

    writer.data( text )

but it escapes angle brackets, and what i wanted was to write
'<!DOCTYPE.....'.

Thanks

Gerard