What's The Best Editor for python

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Mar 24 12:04:09 EST 2006

> Can one of you say to me what's the best editor for
> editing the python programs ( for linux or windows ), and
> if you can send it to me to the adresse

Hmmm...it's been almost a week since this topic came up on
the list.  Good to see the topic is undead :)  For plenty of
reading, check out the list archives:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/search?group=comp.lang.python&q=editor+%28best+OR+perfect+OR+ideal%29

Pretty much any text editor will do.  If you're developing
on both Linux and Windows, it's an advantage to have an
editor that you can use on both.  I happen to use vim/vi
which is available pretty much wherever you go.  About the
same sorta thing can be said for emacs, though I'm not a
user, so I can't comment on it.  I'll grant that vi/vim has
a learning curve like a brick wall, but once you're over the
initial learning hurdle, it reaps heaps of rewards.

Check out http://www.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

Try 'em out and see what *you* like.  In a pinch, there's
always ed:

	http://www.gnu.org/jokes/ed.msg.html
	http://www.gnu.org/software/ed/ed.html

Or edlin if you're on Dos/Win32 :)  Though I think in such
an event on Dos/Win32, I'd almost rather use "copy con" as
my editor...

-tkc