Content Management System

Jeff dont_bug_me at all.uk
Wed Mar 29 18:23:16 EST 2006

Water Cooler v2 wrote:
> I know what it is, and yet the knowledge of what a CMS is, is so vague
> that I find myself asking this question every now and then. I've
> googled and read the resources too. However, the knowledge is still not
> clear. It is so vague.
>

> Me: Just what is a content management system?

There's many different CMS sytems out there. How they work vary widely.
But basically it's about making the site maintainable. Creating pages ad
hoc on your desktop can lead to variations in a website depending on
when and who made that page. That can cause problems as a site expands.

Let's talk about web based.

Common and necesary features are:

1) A Page Manager that shows you the site structure and lets you add
edit or move pages about the site. Since this is stored in an online
database, everyone who needs to edit the site will have the same data.
That's an advantage over having this on your desktop where syncing the
data is necesary.

2) A page editor. The idea here is to seperate the content from the
presentation. Typically the content will be plugged into a template(s)
that conforms to your site so that all pages will have the same look and
feel. If you need to make a change sitewide, changing the template(s)
will do that,other than making changes one page at a time.

What you want is to seperate content from presentation. You want your
pages to be reasonable HTML instead of what an inexperienced (or even
experienced) might create on their own.

3) Navigation. CMS should be able to update your navigation as you add
pages, or move them.

4) Controlling access to editing and making navigation changes. This can
be by directory, subdirectory or even page. I usually see the first two,
sometimes an editor will need to to have access to different sections of
the site, but not to the whole site. Sometimes this will need to be
reviewed by an administrator. Every site tends to have differing needs.

5)Ability to upload PDF's, word docs, etc... and link them into your
site. Usually you will want to do this online, rather than having to FTP
content up, typically you don't want CMS users to even have to know
about FTP.

   So you want your CMS to be easy for the html illiterate to use, you
want to be able to make sitewide changes easily, you want your
navigation to automatically update and you want to be able to control
access and if necesaary review changes.

> Myself: A place where content can be stored.

Online in a structured place, this usually involves a database in some
way. How that all works should be something you don't need to know or
worry about.

> Me: OK. So, then what's a file system?
>
> Myself: That's not web-based. File-Systems are desktop-based.

   Everything is file based, even database tables.

HTH,

   Cheers,
Jeff