State of SSL in Python

donk71 at gmail.com donk71 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 17:43:31 EST 2006

I was searching the net about SSL support in Python, and it seems that
a few years ago that the native SSL functions were broken or badly
wanting in comparison to third party libraries such as m2crypto, POW
and pyOpenSSL.  What is the state of native support now?

I'd like to use Python's native SSL functions because I'd like to keep
the install requirements at a minimum.  I'm writing a client that will
use TLS with X509 certificate validation (and CRL checking in the
future).  Will Python be able to handle it?