how do you move to a new line in your text editor?

Carl Banks invalidemail at aerojockey.com
Thu Mar 2 14:09:42 EST 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Carl Banks wrote:
> > John Salerno wrote:
> >> So I'm wondering, how do you all handle moving around in your code in
> >> cases like this? Is there some sort of consistency to these things that
> >> you can write rules for your text editor to know when to outdent? It
> >> doesn't seem like you can do this reliably, though.
> >
> > Emacs, at least, outdents reliably with spaces.  Probably some other
> > editors do as well, though I was kind of surprised to find out that
> > some editors have (compared to Emacs) weak indent inference.
> >
> > If editing with spaces annoys you, it might be possible with your
> > editor (which seems to have a variable tab stop) to edit the file with
> > tabs, but save it with spaces.
>
> I use UltraEdit right now, and it is possible to convert spaces and tabs
> back and forth, but it's just an extra step. I was thinking about trying
> vim, as I've heard it's easier to learn than emacs.

Well, they don't call vi the "Very Intuitive" editor for nothing.  I
suspect if you're not used to the modes and movement keys and stuff
it'll be a little steep learning at first.  More power to you if you
can get used to that.

You wouldn't know if Ultraedit has some kind of hook mechanism (whereby
it can execute a macro or script or something upon loading/saving).
That could solve your problem.  Obviously, having to manually convert
isn't too helpful.

Carl Banks