noobie mkdir problem/question

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Sat Mar 25 21:02:16 EST 2006

Except for the fact that I don't have any idea where "given"
variable comes from. This works perfectly for me.  It writes
data into <root>/xrefs/given.log perfectly.

In the future you should cut/paste your code so we can see
enough to help better.  Here is my code with a few changes.

import os
import sys
root = raw_input("Enter the path where the program should run: ")
xrefs = os.path.join(root,'xrefs')

if not os.path.exists(xrefs):
    os.makedirs(xrefs)

else:
    sys.exit('LOG folder already exists. Exiting program.')

outputFname = 'given.log'  # You need to change this line
outputFile = open(os.path.join(xrefs,outputFname), 'w')
data="this is a test\n"
outputFile.write(data)
outputFile.close()

-Larry Bates