Is there no end to Python?

kpp9c kp8 at mac.com
Sat Mar 18 05:27:47 EST 2006

>>  This is good thing because I can ignore what I don't need.

I am finding that this is really not true for me. I find that if i use
other folks code, collaborate, or get help from other folks i still
have to know all the new constructs that i don't often use, and i
really struggle with iterators and generators and some of the newer
things and folks seem to have fallen in love with ridiculously complex
list comprehensions. (i'll admit i love the list comprehensions too,
but too a point)

Don't get me wrong, i LOVE Python, but since 2.2 or so the language has
started to get some feature creep and is starting to evolve
exponentially fast and while all that pre 2.2 code is really readable
still, i see some stuff now that really really hurts my brain. We see
less silly lambdas than we used to, and Python is more powerful than
ever, but i think there has been a cost too. Python has become harder
to read and *MUCH* harder to learn all of a sudden.

Personally i would like to see the core Python language evolve more
slowly and see work on packages, modules and DOCS!!

but i am sure that is very much a minority opinion. I found the
language additions of 2.3 and 2.4 really hard to absorb.

flame away...

-kp--