problem writing to a file each record read

Eduardo Biano edbiano at rocketmail.com
Wed Mar 15 01:20:02 EST 2006

I am a python newbie and I have a problem with writing
each record read to a file. The expected output is 10
rows of records, but the actual output of the code
below is only one row with a very long record (10
records are lump into one record). Thank you in
advance for your help. Here is the code:

infile = open('c:/grad3650txt.csv', 'r')
outfile = open('c:/idmast01.txt', 'w')

a = 1
b = 10
for line in infile.readlines():
    if a <= b:
        c1 = line.find(',',0)
        ln = line[1:c1]
        l2 = line.find('"', c1)
        l2a = l2 - 1
        l2c = l2
        if line[l2a] == '.':
            l2b = l2 - 3
            if line[l2b] == ' ':
                mi = line[l2b+1:l2a+1]
                l2c = l2b
            else:
                mi = '  '
                l2c = l2
        fn = line[c1+2:l2c]
        c2 = line.find(',', l2)
        c3 = line.find(',', c2+1)
        deg = line[c2+1:c3]
        l5 = len(line)
        c4 = line.find(',', c3+1)
        l7 = c3 + 14
        if l5 <= l7 or c4 <= l5:
            l8 = l5
        if c4 <= l5:
            dat = line[c3+1:c4]

            #-----------------------------------
            #  This is the problem code. Ten records
            #  is  lump into 1 row and written
            #  in the output file.
            #
            #  My expected output is 10 rows.
            #-----------------------------------
            info = string.join([fn, mi, ln, deg, dat]

            outfile.write(info)
            #
        a = 1 + a
    else: