Python IDE: great headache....

Don Taylor nospamformeSVP at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 08:49:29 EST 2006

Joel Hedlund wrote:

>> If you install Eclipse and try to use it without reading the
>> Workbench User Guide then you are not going to get anywhere.
>

> Woah, easy now! I never read any "Workbench User Guide" and I'm doing
> just fine with PyDev. Fabio Zadrozny (PyDev developer) wrote an
> excellent startup guide for python programmers that includes
> installing and basic editing:
>
> http://www.fabioz.com/pydev/manual_101_root.html
>
> It's all I ever read and it was enough for me to get going with
> Eclipse + PyDev within 15 minutes on a WinXP machine.

Sorry to offend, I was just extrapoloating from personal experience.

When I was looking for a Java IDE I tried IntelliJ Idea, Netbeans and
Eclipse in that order.  I found that I could use Idea and Netbeans
without reading the manuals, but I could not get going with Eclipse
until I read the Workbench User Guide and got the hang of perspectives
and views.  Even installing it the first time seemed to be a mystery.
It is not difficult at all, just different.  In retrospect, I don't know
why I found it puzzling but I have met others who have had the same
experience.

It has improved a lot recently, but even the Eclipse web-site was hard
to navigate.  I think that a lot of the puzzlement comes from the fact
that the Eclipse folks present Eclipse not as an IDE, but as a framework
  where one of the applications happens to be an IDE.

Don.