ANNOUNCE: xlrd 0.5.2 -- extract data from Excel spreadsheets

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Mar 20 07:01:59 EST 2006

On 20/03/2006 10:37 PM, jcmendez wrote:
> Exactly.

Yes, your requirement is exactly that, a list of references.

>  Once I get the formulas, I can do a weak parsing of them and
> find the references.

A formula is not stored as input e.g. "(A1+A2)*3.0+$Z$29"; it's kept as
an RPN stream of variable-length tokens. You don't need to parse it in
the sense you were probably thinking of; *ALL* [ho ho chuckle chuckle]
you need to do is step through the tokens and do something with the ones
that contain references. Have a peek at this:
http://sc.openoffice.org/excelfileformat.pdf -- formulas are covered in
40+ pages starting at about page 25.

Cheers,
John