"RuntimeError: dictionary changed size during iteration" ; Good atomic copy operations?

robert no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.com
Sat Mar 11 10:23:38 EST 2006

Felipe Almeida Lessa wrote:

> Em Sáb, 2006-03-11 às 12:49 +0100, robert escreveu:
>
>>Meanwhile I think this is a bug of cPickle.dump: It should use .keys()
>>instead of free iteration internally, when pickling elementary dicts.
>>I'd file a bug if no objection.
>

> AFAICS, it's a problem with your code. You should lock your object while
> using it. That's what Threading.Lock is supposed to work for. If you
> want to use threads, you have to know in what parts of your code there
> should be locks.

99.99% no. I would have to use a lock everywhere, where I add or remove
something into a dict or list of the struct. Thats not the purpose of
big thread locks. Such simple operations are already atomic by the
definition of Python - and thanks to the global interpreter lock.
(Otherwise I would leave the Python language, God beware ... :-) )

I'm of course aware, where to use locks for resons of the application.
But this is an issue on Python level. And it can be solved gracly and
simple in Python  - I guess:

If cPickle.dump (and maybe also copy/deepcopy?) is corrected to work
atomic on dicts (use .keys()) and list-copies or locks python threads)
the problem is solved gracely and generally.

Robert