Convert dictionary to HTTP POST

Laszlo Zsolt Nagy gandalf at designaproduct.biz
Fri Mar 3 08:48:44 EST 2006

>See urllib.urlencode(). No idea why they don't include it in urllib2 as
>well, but there you go.

>'a=%26+%22Simple+string%22&b=%3C%3E%21%40%23%24%25%5E%26%2A%28%29_%2B%3D'

Hmm. urlencode is using quote_plus internally. Looks like there is no
difference in the encoding of the apostrophe.
I tried to create a very basic form and realized that the problem is NOT
with the quoting.
I'm writting a program that puts orders into a wholesaler's database.
They do not have a programatic interface, so I have to login and post
forms using a program.
There are some fields that I must not change, so I have to read the
value from the HTML source and then post it back.
Here is the problem:

<form method="POST">
  <input name="name" value="Bessy's cat">
  <input type="submit">
</form>

The values of some inputs are encoded using html entities.
How can I decode a string like "Bessy's cat"  in "Bessy's cat"?

Thanks,

   Laszlo