Advice for creating a web app

Olivier om at oliviermigeon.com
Sat Mar 11 14:53:43 EST 2006

Hi there,

Jumping until blue a écrit :
> I have a number of files, mostly text files formatted using Markdown
> syntax but also pdfs and other types of files, that are stored in a
> folder hierarchy and I want to develop a web application where I can
> brows, view and search these files. The documents can be
> cross-linked.
>
> Currently I use a basic CGI to view/format the markdown files but I
> don't know if I should continue to make my own system or if I should
> take advantage of some existing framework.
>
> My requirements are:

You may be interested in pyblosxom (http://pyblosxom.sourceforge.net/).

It's filesystem based, allows different input formats (html, rest, plain
text, I don't know about "Markdown syntax"), allows also to serve what
they call static files (like your pdfs), and you can plug some search
capacities (for instance, a wrap around grep).

I used to run it behind apache with cgi, but it should be possible to
use it with a lightweight-no install web server.

HTH,

	Olivier