Best python module for Oracle, but portable to other RDBMSes

dananrg at yahoo.com dananrg at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 16:45:35 EST 2006

> If you actually get a suffixed L in the resulting text file, you
> are using a strange way to convert your data to text. You aren't
> simply printing lists or tuples are you? Then other types, such as
> datetime objects will also look bizarre. (Not that the ancient
> odbc would support that...)
> You might want to look at the csv module for text export.

Thanks Magnus. I didn't know there was a csv module.

Here's how I'm getting the suffixed "L"

import dbi, odbc                               # Import ODBC modules
connectString = 'odbc_con_name/username/password'
dbc = odbc.odbc(connectString)        # Connect to Oracle
cursor = dbc.cursor()                        # Create cursor
sql = "select statement here..."         # Define SQL statement
cursor.execute(sql)                          # Execute sql statement
allRecords = cursor.fetchall()           # Fetch all returned records
into a list of tuples
numRecords = len(allRecords)         # Get num of records returned by
the query

# Note: I'm leaving out the for loop for this example...

# Print first record:
print allRecords[0]

>>> (872L, 'ACTIVE', <DbiDate object at 010B0B78>, <DbiDate object at 010C2ED0>, None, '1.0.0.0', None, None, None)

# Convert first tuple to a list so I have a mutable object
recordList = list(allRecords[0])

# Print new list
print recordList

>>> [872L, 'ACTIVE', <DbiDate object at 011F6000>, <DbiDate object at 00EA1428>, None, '1.0.0.0', None, None, None]

# Convert long integer to short integer (int) to get rid of the "L"
recordList[0] = int(recordList[0])

# Print list with changed item. No more "L"
print recordList[0]

>>> [872, 'ACTIVE', <DbiDate object at 011F6000>, <DbiDate object at 00EA1428>, None, '1.0.0.0', None, None, None]
# The End

Are you saying I'm getting the "L" as an artifact of printing?