Terminating a subprocess question

Ernesto erniedude at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 16:17:49 EST 2006

Ernesto wrote:
> I'm opening a telnet session with the subprocess call below.  I then
> wait ten seconds and attempt to terminate the telnet window I created.
> Unfortuantely, the telnet window remains after the 'TerminateProcess"
> call below.  This software works great for opening an executable
> directly (i.e.  Handle = subprocess.Popen("myProgram.exe), but here I'm
> using the Windows 'start' command inside, which I think has an effect.
>

> Is there another way I can force termination of the telnet session I
> create ?
>
> # CODE STARTS HERE
>
> TSS_Log_Path = "C:\\Log_Outputs\\TSS_Log_Test.txt"
> TSS_Handle = subprocess.Popen("start telnet.exe -f " + TSS_Log_Path + "
> localhost 6000",shell=True)
> time.sleep(10)
> ctypes.windll.kernel32.TerminateProcess(int(TSS_Handle._handle), -1) #
> Terminate the TSS_Log
>
> # END CODE

Actually, the original answer I was looking for to for a "hard close"
of telnet in Windows is:

TSS_Handle = subprocess.Popen("TASKKILL /F /IM telnet.exe", shell=True)

It is almost definitely true though that it is safer to use telnetlib.
I just don't have the time to adjust my entire huge application at the
moment.  Thanks all.