Cheese Shop: some history for the new-comers

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 17:13:03 EST 2006

On 3/16/06, Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> wrote:

> But the usual distinction (on any project web page) is
> "User" versus "Developer".
>
> Who is a "user" of Python? That would be you, right? It
> would be fairly silly to have a page only for people who
> have programs written in Python that they use (they're
> *your program*'s users, not *python*'s users).
>
> "Developer", in context, is clearly "one who *develops*
> python", not "one who *uses* python to develop programs".
>
> I don't see the ambiguity. I would be confused by the
> opposite usage.

After your long explanation, your POV makes some sense. However, no
one should be expected to read such an involved explanation before
understanding common terms.

I am a developer. Yes, I 'use' Python for my development work, but
that doesn't make me any less of a developer. A link for 'developers'
would make me think that it is something I should be interested in,
even if your long explanation was included next to the link (I
wouldn't be likely to read it - I *know* what a developer is).

--

# p.d.