Learning different languages

Rich rich at addr.invalid
Tue Mar 7 17:44:56 EST 2006

Hi,

(this is a probably a bit OT here, but comp.lang seems rather
desolated, so I'm not sure I would get an answer there. And right now
I'm in the middle of learning Python anyway so...)

Anyway, my question is: what experience you people have with working
with different languages at the same time?

Actually I did myself many years ago, on my Commodore machines, where
I programmed a lot in both basic, assembler and machine code, and
don't recall I had any problems with handling these parallel. But
then, they are very different languages, so it's not easy to get their
syntax etc. mixed up with each other.

I'm more thinking about Python, PHP, C++, Perl, Euphoria, which are
languages I'm thinking of learning now. They look much more like each
other than basic and MC, at places some even share the exact same
syntax it seems, so your brain might get confused with what language
you're actually working with?

How is your experience with handling these paralell?. And what would
you recommend - take one (or perhaps two) at a time, and then continue
with the next? Or is it OK to go ahead with them all, at once?