** Operator

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Mon Mar 20 15:39:18 EST 2006

Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
> Alex Martelli wrote:
>> Sathyaish wrote:
>>
>>> I tried it on the interpreter and it looks like it is the "to the power
>>> of" operator symbol/function. Can you please point me to the formal
>>> definition of this operator in the docs?
>>
>> http://docs.python.org/ref/power.html
>
> I think this should be also mentioned in the Built-In Functions section
> of the Library Reference. Probably most users do not read the Language
> Reference (since the main menu says it's "for language lawyers" and yes,
> it is not really fun to read).

I agree and think the "for language lawyers" should be changed to
something that encourages people to read it instead of encouraging them
to avoid it.  Maybe:

     "The Python language structure for everyone".

If it's hard to read and understand, then that can and should be fixed.

It probably should be moved to a position before the library reference
manual and after the tutorial.  Looking over the language reference
manual will help in understanding the library reference manual I think.

Cheers,
    Ron