list/classmethod problems

bruno at modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Tue Mar 14 04:16:17 EST 2006

ahart wrote:
> Diez, Scott, and Bruno,
>
> I thank you all for your help and suggestions. I wasn't aware that
> default values were considered class (static) values.

These are *not* 'default values'. Defining a name in the body of a class
statement bind that name to the *class*. To bind a name to the instance,
you have to do it inside an instance method - usually in the __init__()
method. Understand that there's not way to bind anything to an instance
before you actually *have* an instance !-)

> That seems a
> little odd to me,

Yes, it's very different from languages like Java or C++, but it makes
perfect sens once you understand Python's object model.

(snip)

> Again, I thank you all.

You're welcome.

--