advice on this little script

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 9 01:42:46 EST 2006

Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
> > Nice! Cross off another line! I feel like Hemingway.  :)
>
> Was he the one who once apologized to his editor for a story
> being so long because he was in a hurry and didn't have time to
> make it shorter?

Nope, that immortal quote is by Blaise Pascal (also known as a
philosopher, a mathematician, and the developer of one of the best early
mechanical calculators, as well as for the programming language Niklaus
Wirth named after him, and the SI standard unit of pressure, 1 Pa == 1 N
per square meter, also named in his honor because he was the first to
use a barometer to measure altitude); it's found in his "Lettres
Provinciales" (which is not a collection of "real" letters, but rather a
philosophical, theological and political polemic cast in epistular
form). It's often misattributed to Mark Twain, but this the first time
I've heard it associated with Hemingway!

Alex