wxPython memory footprint? - Re: Write a GUI for a python script?

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 16:33:57 EST 2006

On 3/2/06, robert <no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.com> wrote:
> ianaré wrote:
>
> > wxPython is another good option, especially since there is
> > boa-constructor, which is a great GUI builder, almost makes it too easy
> > to make a nice looking app in no time at all.
> >
> > http://www.wxpython.org/download.php
> >
> > http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > if you decide to give wxPython a go, make sure to download the demo, it
> > has tons of usefull code samples.
>
> What is the minimal memory footprint of a Hello World wxPython app
> meanwhile (when you cx_freeze/py2exe it) ?

I'm assuming you mean disk space and not memory usage. A stock
wxPython (from a standard release) wil vary from platform to platform
but is generally about 2.5 megs. This can be brought down rather a lot
if you're willing to spend a fair amount of time learning the
wxWidgets and wxPython build systems and making custom builds but it's
not generally worth the time to me (and I know the build system and
could make customized builds if I wanted to)

I have a non-trivial wxPython application and, using py2exe in "single
executable" mode (thus all the dlls and the zipfile with the .pyc
files are included in the exe) it's just over 5 megs in size.

> Can you debug & call functions interactively from e.g. Pythonwin while a
> wxPython app is running.

I've never tried it with PythonWin and I don't know how PythonWin
hooks into Python to manage debugging). Both pdb and the debugger in
PyDev work fine for me, however. As another responder said it's
trivial (literally < 5 lines) to add an interactive Python shell to a
wxPython application, which is invaluable for debugging and testing.

> ( When I made a test with wxPython some years ago, it had no option to
> step/share its Messageloop. Interaction was "crust"y and I didn't manage
> to get smooth debugging (on Windows).  )

I don't believe that wxPython exposes the low level C++ APIs that're
available to hook the wx message loop (it's an efficency issue, from
what I understand), but there are a number of other methods for
integration. The need to hook the message loop is far far less common
than the number of people who ask for it, so you'll forgive me if I'm
skeptical unless someone actually says why they want to.