lighter weight options to Python's logging package?

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Fri Mar 10 18:07:17 EST 2006

[skip at pobox.com wrote]
> We use the standard logging package and frequently bump into performance
> issues with it (we log a lot of information).  When that happens, we then go
> through our code and dump a bunch of logging calls we think we can live
> without.  This invariably causes problems because we get overzealous and
> delete something we needed and are then unable to do some bit of post-mortem
> debugging until we add back in the missing logging and cut another release.
>
> Before I consider writing something from scratch, is there something lighter
> weight "floating around" out there already?

Do you have any profile information for where in the logging package the
time is being spent? I don't know how much of a perf issue it is for
you. Perhaps tweaking your usage of the logging package (perhaps using
custom Loggers, Filters, outputters, etc.) could be made "good enough".

Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com