python newbie, linux novice, needs to run spamassassin

Gates Danderhoff danderup at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 16 19:10:07 EST 2006

The frustrating thing about running linux is that every time you look for
an example using a search engine, the guy writing it expects you to know
10 other utilities.

I have a very simple request regarding spamassain: I just need an example
of how to run it once you have downloaded one or more emails into a
folder.

I have a python script which runs poplib and is downloading emails into a
folder, say ~/mymailin.

Each time the script is run and emails have been downloaded into the
folder, I would like to run spamassassin to read through the emails in the
folder and check them for their spamminess and if they are spammy, it
should do whatever spamassassin does: add a header and move it to another
folder, say ~/myspam, or maybe ~/mygoodemail if it's not spammy?

There must be a simple spamassassin command that will do this, that I can
add to the python script and run using the cmdline.... facility, but, as
I say, all the examples I've seen have something to do with running
spamassassin with procmail, fetchmail, qmail and God knows what else.

Some day I'll learn all about procmail, but, for now, I like my little
python poplib script, and a simple spamassassin example should do the
trick.

Thank you for any help.