Why property works only for objects?

Michal Kwiatkowski ruby at no.spam
Fri Mar 10 12:01:16 EST 2006

Alex Martelli napisał(a):
> Wrong!  Of _course_ it's an option -- why do you think it matters at all
> whether you're the creator of this object?!

Statically typed languages background. Sorry. ;)

>> Code below doesn't work, but shows my
>> intention:
>>
>> # obj is instance of BaseClass
>> def get_x(self):
>>     # ...
>> def set_x(self, value):
>>     # ...
>> obj.x = property(get_x, set_x)
>
> def insert_property(obj, name, getter, setter):
>     class sub(obj.__class__): pass
>     setattr(sub, name, property(getter, setter))
>     obj.__class__ = sub
>
> See?  Of COURSE you can subclass -- not hard at all, really.

Let me understand it clearly. If I change __class__ of an object,
existing attributes (so methods as well) of an object are still
accessible the same way and don't change its values. Only resolution of
attributes/methods not found in object is changed, as it uses new
version of __class__ to lookup names. Is this right?

mk
--
 . o .       >>  http://joker.linuxstuff.pl  <<
 . . o   It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong