mydate.strftime('%x') and cgi script

Sibylle Koczian Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.de
Mon Mar 13 08:53:49 EST 2006

Hello,

I'm writing a cgi script which only needs to run in a small LAN. I tried
to show dates in a reasonable format by using

import locale
import datetime

locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
dt = datetime.date.today()
print dt.strftime('%x')

This works well in other scripts or at the interactive prompt. It
doesn't work in a cgi script: in the browser the date is shown as
'mm/dd/yyyy' which is _not_ my 'Locale's appropriate date
representation' as the documentation for strftime calls it.

The workaround is simple: explicit description of the right format works
('%d.%m.%Y'). But why doesn't the short form work as well?

Thank you for explanations or links to them,
Koczian

--
Dr. Sibylle Koczian
Universitaetsbibliothek, Abt. Naturwiss.