SSL/TLS - am I doing it right?

Paul Rubin http
Wed Mar 15 04:41:16 EST 2006

"Frank Millman" <frank at chagford.com> writes:
> >  You also want to generate a client
> > certificate to install on the server.  >
> Both you and Sybren are insistent that this is a necessary step, but I
> confess I cannot see the need for it. The client is lightweight, and
> authenticates itself to the server using a user id and password. What
> is the worst that could go wrong?

The client cert approach isn't strictly necessary but it means that
the SSL stack takes care of stuff that your application would
otherwise have to take care of at both the client and the server side.
If you don't generate a certificate, you have to generate a username
and password instead, and manage that.  There's still secret
authenticating info on the client, so you haven't really decreased the
client's responsibility.  Also, if you need to go to a heavier-duty
approach sometime, there's an industry making hardware devices
(e.g. smart cards) that encapsulate keys and certificates so that the
keys are very difficult to get access to.  That improves security
considerably.