figuring out how much data was sent so far via XML-RPC?

Ratko Jagodic rjagodic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 20:22:58 EST 2006

I am currently using XML-RPC for a very convenient quick-and-dirty way of
sending some files (base64 encoded).
The files can be bigger sometimes (10-20mb) and I was wondering if there is
a way to see how much data was sent already and how much still needs to be
sent (like a progress bar). I would of course need that only on the client
side. I know how I would do it with pure sockets but I am not sure how could
I get to that lower level with xmlrpclib...

I am using xmlrpclib.ServerProxy for the client and a SimpleXMLRPCServer. It
would also be great if I could keep the solution (if it exists) within the
standard python library (no extra modules) because I am distributing this to
other people.

Thanks in advance!
Ratko