Tried Ruby (or, "what Python *really* needs" or "perldoc!")

john_sips_tea at yahoo.com john_sips_tea at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 15:39:30 EST 2006

msoulier wrote:

> [snip]
> But, if Python would match Perl for docs available on the command-line,
> then I'd have it all at my fingertips. I simply don't understand why
> this is not being done. [snip]
>
> Mike

Ok, well, here's my attempt to begin to make that happen:

http://www.simisen.com/jmg/cpd/

This "release" is as alpha as alpha gets. It's so alpha it
actually loops back around to zeta -- but it's a start, and I
think it's exactly what the Python community needs.

The command to read the docs works like pydoc but is
called dennis (extra points for getting the obscure Monty
Python reference before reading the web page). :) The dennis
command is only a few lines of Python held together by bailing
wire, so it will need lots of work, but it lets us read the docs
so it's ok for now. You're invited to fix it up and send me an
improved version. :)

Please have a look and let me know what you think. If people
start writing modules (that is, documentation) and sending
them to me, I'll probably be forced to start a mailing list and
actually put this stuff in CVS/SVN/bzr.

Have at it! :)

---John