Speed of data structures in python

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Mar 10 22:06:27 EST 2006

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:12:30 +1100
"Steven D'Aprano" <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:24:46 +1100, Dave wrote:
> > Hi. I am learning PyOpenGL and I am working with a
> > largish fixed scene   composed of several thousand
> > GLtriangles. I plan to store the coords and   normals in
> > a NumPy array.
> >
> > Is this the fastest solution in python?

> Optimization without measurement is at best a waste of
> time and at worst counter-productive. Why don't you time
> your code and see if it is fast enough?
>
> See the timeit module, and the profiler.

Talk about knee-jerk reactions. ;-)

It's a *3D animation* module -- of course it's going to be
time-critical.  Sheesh.  Now *that* is stating the obvious.

The obvious solution is actually a list of tuples. But
it's very possible that that won't be fast enough, so the
NumPy approach may be a significant speedup. I doubt you
need more than that, though.

I think the real question is not going to be how fast your
code handles data, though, but rather how fast you can get
that data into PyOpenGL and back. So the real fastest format
is going to be "whatever PyOpenGL uses" -- so I'd look that
up.

For comparison, SDL uses "surfaces" to store 2D data, so
when programming in PyGame, your first step is to load every
image into a surface. Once there, display to the screen is
very very fast -- but moving from image to surface is
typically slow, no matter how spiffy your image format may
be internally.  I suspect something similar applies to
PyOpenGL.