Write a GUI for a python script?

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 19:37:46 EST 2006

On 3/5/06, Bill Maxwell <bill_maxwell_notMyRealAddress at notreal.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  Knowing that, I was able to create a simple app in
> the Dabo Designer that contains a Notebook.
>
> But, I'm having a heck of a time finding any documentation at all on
> Dabo.  I looked all thru the website(s), and have combed the Dabo
> software package itself.
>
> Either I'm doing something wrong, or documentation is pretty sparse for
> Dabo.

No, you're not doing anything wrong. There isn't a whole lot of
documentation. That's one of the problems with projects being actively
developed: the developers are too busy with the development work to
step back and write the docs. They have asked for people to help out
if they can (it is open source, after all), but there hasn't been a
whole lot of that yet. I think a lot of people are like me: they have
figured out enough to make it work, and are doing some great stuff
with it, but don't feel that they know it enough to document it.

> What little info I could find on the Dabo Wiki seems pretty old.  I also
> watched the two Sizer videos, but there's not enough info there to learn
> much.

I have to agree. The videos are great, but so much more is needed. One
thing I can suggest is to post any questions on the dabo-users list.
Both the authors are very responsive and helpful.

> I read somewhere that they are concentrating on the User Interface
> designer instead of the database aspects.  The GUI maker is what I'm
> interested in using, not the rest.  I don't want to code the GUI
> manually.  Do you know where I can find more information on the
> Designer?

I think that the database side of things has been done for over a
year, and now they're looking to add support for more database types
as people start using it with other stuff. But as far as the GUI
Designer goes, I'd post questions on the dabo-users list.

--

# p.d.