PEP 354: Enumerations in Python

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Mar 1 22:00:09 EST 2006

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> I don't know about this.  It makes athlon64_instructions a
> completely separate enum from pentium_instructions.  It could be
> that athlon64_instructions.add should be the same as
> pentium_instructions.add .

If you want the members of two distinct collections to have a
meaningful relationship, you don't want enumerations. The basic
promise of the specified enumeration interface is that every member of
an enumeration is a unique value.

--
 \      "A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order |
  `\    will lose both, and deserve neither."  -- Thomas Jefferson, in |