Doc suggestions (was: Why "class exceptions" are not deprecated?)

Ed Singleton singletoned at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 11:59:30 EST 2006

On 29/03/06, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Ed Singleton wrote:
>
> > > alright, I got bored and uploaded a copy of the current Python tutorial to
> > >
> > >     http://pytut.infogami.com
> >
> > Damn.  You beat me to it by an hour.
> >
> > http://singletoned.infogami.com/_special/index
>
> oops. sorry for that.

Not at all.  I'm quite proud that it was only an hour.

> > > I had a nightmare with character encodings (mainly because I'm
> > > terrible with them).  I have a script written that does it all for me,
> > > but it keeps choking on characters.  I just tried randomly converting
> > > things to Unicode at various points for over an hour until it worked.
>
> sounds weird.  iirc, there were only one page that contained non-ascii
> characters, and the latest html2text.py script had no problems dealing
> with that one.

node4 and node5 caused problems for me.  I'm still struggling a bit
with character encodings so that probably caused most of my problems.

> > Also, your looks better than mine.
>
> did you look at it before or after I added the new stylesheet? ;-)

Before.  Now it looks gorgeous.

> > Did you write a script to do the table of contents too?
>
> nope; I did that all by hand.  I plan to write some scripts to get contents
> *out* of infogami, though, but that'll have to wait for some other day.
>
> anyway, do you want to keep your version, or should we "standardize" on
> the pytut version ?  and are there any willing community contributors out
> there?

Standardise on yours obviously, though I might keep mine around to
keep playing with the script.  It's a bit clumsy at the moment, but I
can see there's some potential there for having a general script to
rip content out of sites and put it in a wiki (if only for the rest of
the python docs, should this project succeed).  I'd also be interested
in seeing how you did it as it would be the first time I could
directly compare what I did to how an expert does it.

I'd suggest adding some sort of guidance page so that people know
roughly what's expected.  IE can they just add questions and comments
into the text, hoping that someone more knowledgeable will sort it out
(or delete it).

Ed