Very, Very Green Python User

Lonnie Princehouse finite.automaton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 14:13:02 EST 2006

> Python closures are apparently very poor, but from what I can surmise
> of the PyGTK2 page, instances of objects are dynamic enough to add new
> methods, so you get your callbacks, at least.

It's true that Python's "lambda" is somewhat limited, but this is
rarely a problem because you can define named functions on-the-fly.

> Double-underscore methods are rewritten with the class name? That's an ugly hack

Yes, it is.  But in practice, you will rarely need to pay attention to
this.  I'd been using Python for two years before I noticed this odd
behavior.

I heartily applaud shopping around for new languages.  Coming from
Perl, I think you'll find Python to be a figurative breath of fresh
air, but you might also want to look at languages like Ruby, Haskell,
etc.