COM Client / Server creation?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Mar 22 20:00:52 EST 2006

"Dan" <danbrwn at gmail.com> writes:

> Ive got the chapter from the net on COM. It looks pretty old, 2000.
> Also the very first example in the chapter on COM doesn't seem to work.
> Is what I am wanting to do possible with Python?

As long as you're doing IDispatch, essentially anything is possible
with pywin32's COM support.

What went wrong with the first example in the book?

Not covered in the book, and particularly useful for implementing
native clients and servers is ctypes / comtypes (but still not stable;
also, I've only personally used it for writing a client, and a very
simple one at that):

http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/ctypes/com.html

John