Interprocess communication on multi-user machine

Michael Butscher mbutscher at gmx.de
Thu Jun 29 14:32:06 EDT 2006

Hi,

this is not really Python-specific but I need it for Python.

I'm wanting a method for interprocess communication which is OS-
independent (sockets would be the normal way to go), but which works if
multiple users use the machine at the same time so that one user has no
access to the communication of programs of another user.

Normally any user could connect to an open socket on a machine
regardless which user established the socket (the user's program, to be
precise). This should be prevented.

I could solve this with an additional login when connecting to socket
but this would be uncomfortable for the user.

Any hints?

TIA

Michael

--