a good programming text editor (not IDE)

Sergei Organov osv at javad.com
Fri Jun 16 04:48:03 EDT 2006

John Salerno <johnjsal at NOSPAMgmail.com> writes:
> I know there's a request for a good IDE at least once a week on the ng,
> but hopefully this question is a little different. I'm looking for
> suggestions for a good cross-platform text editor (which the features
> for coding, such as syntax highlighting, etc.) but not a full IDE with
> all the fancy jazz (GUI developer, UML diagrams, etc.).
>
> Ideally, it would be something I could even put on a flash drive and
> move from computer to computer, but this isn't necessary. Just something
> I can immediately use in either Windows or Linux (or Mac, if
> necessary).

These days one can put entire OS to a flash drive, not only an editor.

[...]

> And naturally there are Emacs and Vim, but I just don't know if I need
> to invest *that* much time into learning one of them (probably Vim,
> since I hear it's lighter and faster).

>From this thread you can easily see that people that never look for
another editor are either Emacs or Vim users. I think you have two
options here: either spend some time to master one of them, or spend the
rest of your life looking for a good editor ;)

[I compose this reply in XEmacs, yes]

--
Sergei.