Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Wed Jun 21 21:55:54 EDT 2006

Marshall <marshall.spight at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, it strikes me that some of what the dynamic camp likes
> is the actual *absence* of declared types, or the necessity
> of having them. At the very least, requiring types vs. not requiring
> types is mutually exclusive.

So you're saying, then, that while static typing and dynamic typing are
not themselves mutually exclusive, there are people whose concerns run
as much in the "not statically typed" direction as in the "dynamically
typed" direction?  I agree that this is undoubtedly true.  That (not
statically typed) seems to be what gets all the attention, as a matter
of fact.  Most programmers in modern languages assume, though, that
there will be some kind of safeguard against writing bad code with
unpredictable consequences, so in practice "not statically typed"
correlates strongly with "dynamically typed".

Nevertheless, the existence of languages that are clearly "both"
suggests that they should be considered separately to at least some
extent.

--
Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation