Immutability

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jun 29 03:28:43 EDT 2006

Georg Brandl wrote:
> Nick Maclaren wrote:

>>I wasn't expecting EITHER to be turned INTO a property - I was expecting
>>both methods to be the same, but one would have non-default properties
>>attached to it.
>

> That's another sign that property isn't intended to be used as a decorator.
> Normally, decorators wrap functions with other functions. property doesn't
> return a function but a descriptor object.

OK, I still think the docs need updating, but to explain the above as
the reason *why* property's use as a decorator is not advised. Or is it
stylistically and semantically acceptable in the case of a read-only
property?

Would it make sense, in the single argument case, to default the doc
value to fget.__doc__ to support that use case, or should we just not
create read-only properties by using property as a decorator?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com