Help Installing smartypants.py

Wed Jun 28 05:20:19 EDT 2006

"Scott McCracken" <scott.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1151466836.227516.40540 at d56g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
> I just got Python 2.4 setup locally (Mac OS X) and am trying to extend
> it by installing both the markdown and smartypants plugins. Ultimately
> I'd like to be able use both in a custom CMS I'm building with Django.
>
> Installing markdown was a snap by following the instructions at
> http://www.freewisdom.org/projects/python-markdown/, but I cannot
> figure out what to do for smartypants. I have found:
> http://web.chad.org/projects/smartypants.py/, but cannot make any sense
> of it. After reading Jeff Croft's wonderful site, I know it's possible
> - and when I asked him in one of his posts he gave me the following
> response:
>
> > As for SmartyPants -- there is a Python port. I've found it to be not
quite as perfect as the original   >Perl version, but it basically works.
Just Google for it. You'd install it the same way (drop >smartypants.py in
your Python path).

> Does anyone know what port he's talking about? Is it the smartypants.py
> file referenced above? And if so, any quick tips for a clueless UNIX
> user on how to drop smartypants.py in my Python path? Many thanks in
> advance!

Go to the bottom of http://web.chad.org/projects/smartypants.py/ and you
will see a number of links to various versions of this .py module.  If you
right-click/Save As to smartypants.py, and then save this file to a
directory in your Pythonpath, then this will make this module accessible to
you.

-- Paul